Nov 27, 2008

Thanksgiving


There are many things I am thankfull for. my health.. my family.. my life. many things even that I cannot put to words.This Thanksgiving was different.. the last couple years its just mom and I .. not much to cook for.. lol. this year we were invited to our churches supper . actually it was more like a huge family. and extended family and we were invited and joined in. there were children everywhere.. it was wonderful.. my contribution to the meal was one sliced thin smoked venison rump. it was tender and tasty. and one person who didn't like deer meat as she said it all tasted nasty was very surprised.. and also one smoked heritage turkey. a young royal palm.

i butchered the bird. plucked it then cleaned it out.. made a brine of sugar water salt cinnamon sticks all spice and other spices.. and soaked the bird in a bucket for 12 hours.. i then took it out.. rinsed it off.. and smoked it in mesquite.. then after that we cooked it.. that turkey came out sooo good.. by time dinner was done.. the carcase looked like vultures had picked at it.. it was the funniest thing to see..

but it made me feel good to know i helped feed these people.. that I also contributed my mother made the dressing. a wonderful bread dressing with apples.. yum..

No comments: